Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beach, Banka, Bataan

I have a theory - the smaller the people who live in a country, the larger the cockroaches.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of cockroaches in Canada either but the cockroaches in Asia are unbelievably huge - more like our Canadian mice.  I've seen 2 live ones and a dead one over the past couple of days and I've been rather proud of the way I've handled it; instead of screaming, jumping up, knocking over the table and smashing the ketchup bottle on the concrete culvert, I've calmly said, "Robert, there's a cockroach" and let my husband deal with it.

Bright and early on Friday morning, the entire Rivera clan (minus Irish and her husband in Dubai and Rowena's husband in Vietnam) piled into 2 vehicles and headed to Bataan for a short beach holiday.  We opted to stay at the Pawikan Conservation Center; the accommodations were basic but the ocean was awesome.  As well, the ladies there cooked all our meals and snacks, as per Robert's menu, and did all the dishes for $15.00 per day.  The Center was created by former sea turtle poachers who realized the effect the poaching was having on the area and the environment and decided to attempt to conserve the turtles through education.  Unfortunately we were there in the off season but during the proper months, you are able to join them as they collect the turtle eggs from the nests on the beach in order to protect them from poachers and stray dogs and actually help release the hatchlings back into the sea.  They had one hatchling currently who wasn't ready to be released into the sea as he was sick but we did have a chance to see him and hold him.  They also had 4 larger turtles there for education purposes.

 Duncan and Sam

 Danica

The Rivera Family


 Me with the hatchling

 Duncan with the hatchling


 Shine carrying the stuffed turtle

Turtle Kisses

We spent hours in the ocean, floating around and jumping the waves.  It was beautifully warm and very salty, much to the chagrin of the kids who kept getting mouthfuls of it.  Unfortunately, the sunscreen continued to not be strong enough for the Philippine sun on my skin; in spite of frequent reapplications, I resemble a lobster.

 Note Duncan's palm tree, complete with coconuts

 Playing in the ocean

And the waves hit

On Saturday, we also rented 2 bankas and rode to another beach which was picturesque but not good for swimming as it was quite rocky.  They then let us snorkle off the boat but I elected to stay in the banka with Danica and Chessie as I wasn't sure I was coordinated enough to get myself out of the water and back on the boat but didn't think they'd allow me to just hold on and drag me back.

 Danica and Duncan on the banka

 The other banka

 Family photo

 Robert and I

 Robert's parents and Aira

 Danica

 Duncan

 Duncan snorkeling

Duncan and Daddy trying to get back on the banka

On the way home, we stopped for fresh corn at a roadside stand and I figured out why Robert eats his corn on the cob in a circular fashion as opposed to typewriter style - it's because they serve corn in bags!  They also sold crabs on the roadside but we bypassed that stand.

It wouldn't be a family vacation if Vher didn't get stopped by the police on at least 1 outing, either, so the ride home was no exception.  You see, if you drive a utility vehicle, you need a special permit to take it outside of Manila unless you own it.  Vher does own his vehicle so he didn't need the special permit but the police just had to make sure.  

Finally, we stopped at a local restaurant where I tried salted duck egg (too salty for me) and Danica tried chicken intestines (I just couldn't do it).  The whole meal for the 19 of us, with extra rice (a common enough Filipino saying that it's on t-shirts!), cost $30!!!  I had to laugh when at the end of the meal, a white man came into the restaurant with his Filipino partner and went out of his way to say "hi" to me as if he knew me; Robert actually turned around to see who I knew in Malolos.  I guess it was just noticing the other foreigner in the very local establishment.

 Danica isn't so sure she likes the chicken intestines so she tries a 2nd bite.

My plate - pork bbq, grilled eggplant, salted duck egg

Today, we stopped by the church where Robert's mom sells flowers; Robert used to sell flowers there as a child so a bunch of ladies who have known him since he was Duncan's age were excited to see him again and to meet his children.  Duncan and Danica tried to help Lola sell flowers but they weren't too successful.

 Selling flowers

 Robert's old friends


Robert and I then spent a ridiculous number of hours in a mall he hadn't been to in years and another one that he'd never been to because it was just being built last time he was home.  The one had a huge play place that the kids would have loved (it was 2 stories high!) but we had left them with Robert's sister, Marissa, where they played with the Rivera 2nd cousins.  She also took them to a nearby mall by Jeepney and pedicab which they thought was pretty fun.  I couldn't believe how many people were in the mall; Robert and I thought it would be fun for us to take turns hiding in the crowd and take pictures so you could all play "Where's Waldo?" but we didn't.  We also visited multiple vendors to make sure I had a chance to sample all sorts of Philippine delicacies before we head back to Canada.  Of course, the mall visit ended with a visit to the spa for a facial, foot spa and foot massage.

 Binatong (corn with salt, sugar, grated coconut and butter?)

 Bibingka (a type of rice cake)

 The crowds

A Buko Pandan McDip

We had dinner and goodbyes with Robert's sister, Editha, and her family tonight.  She made kare-kare which is a yummy ox-tail and peanut butter stew, chicken, rice and some fish, which I elected to not have.  We then had some cassava cakes for dessert.

Lola and Lolo with all their grandchildren

The Rivera family (minus Irish, Jesse, and Jeff)

No comments:

Post a Comment