Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mabuhay

Preparing for our departure
                                                   

Our kids are rock stars.  I was hopeful and optimistic; I kept telling myself and everyone else that it was a long flight but the kids would be fine.  I'd spent so much time preparing their backpacks full of surprises but I'm not sure I truly believed we'd make it without a few meltdowns.  There were 3 "Are we there yet?"'s (one just after taking off from home), 5 "Will we be landing soon?"'s and quite a few "I'm hungry"'s.  Otherwise, there was no whining, no fighting with us or each other, and virtually no second thoughts on embarking on such an adventure with the kids.  As we landed in Manila and people were disembarking, a man sitting behind us said to me, "Wow.  I didn't even know there were kids in front of me.  They were so quiet and well behaved."  When he found out they'd already been in airplanes and airports for 25 hours, he was even more amazed.  Let me say it sure did make my heart feel proud.

Welcome to the Philippines!


After a very, very long day of travel, we finally arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines!  Upon our arrival, we were welcomed by Robert's parents, his sister Marissa and her family (Vher, Krizia, and Kent), his sister Rowena and her daughter, Chessie, his niece Ira (her mom Irish is working in Dubai and is currently expecting her second child), and his sister Manilyne. Danica keeps staring at Chessie and Ira as if she can hardly believe that they actually exist!

Already this morning, the kids have gone on a tricycle ride with Lolo (Robert's dad) to visit  Robert's sister Editha and her family (Sonny, Brian, Samantha and Shine) and they've been to visit Robert's Tita Celing as well.  I think they may have even had pandesal.  Lola (Robert's mom) made us our first official Filipino breakfast (fried rice, scrambled egg and tocino).



Today, Robert has planned a spa day for us - haircuts for the kids and manicures and pedicures for the two of us.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it.  I think he also has some old friends from his cruise ship days popping by this afternoon for a visit before they return to the ship.  It should be a nice, relaxing day before our sightseeing begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment