Wednesday, August 10, 2022

St. John's, Newfoundland - June 9, 2022

Well, Covid certainly put a damper on our travels for the past couple of years.  Luckily it seems as though maybe the worst is behind us now?  At least we can hope it is...
Anyways, June took me to meet up with my brother and sister-in-law, her father and a couple of their friends in St. John's, Newfoundland.   It's always been a place I wanted to visit so called it an early 50th birthday celebration and off I went. 
Miraculously, my flights were all basically on time and uneventful.   I arrived to a bright, sunny St. John's afternoon.   Their friend, Kelly, had arrived on an earlier flight and we weren't expecting Chris, Renee, Harry and Rose for another couple of hours.  I hopped in a taxi and met up with Kelly at Yellowbelly Brewery for the first of many drinks and food experiences that the weekend held.
After we indulged in a few beverages and some conversation, the rest of our group arrived.  From there, we headed to Dogberry Cottage, our gorgeous AirBNB in the Battery.  
Dinner found us heading down the hills, of which there are many in St. John's, to the St  John's Fish Exchange.   I had some yummy calamari and an amazing salad.   I also got brave and tried some of Chris' Tuna tartare and was pleasantly surprised. 
After dinner, Chris, Renee and I wandered over to a pub, Bridie Molloy's, on George Street while everyone else headed home.  It was open mike night so some of the "music" was not fantastic but the beer was cold and the company was great.
 And that was a wrap on Day One for me (it was about Day 8 or 9 for Chris and Renee in Newfoundland.  They were lucky.)

No comments:

Post a Comment