Sunday, December 25, 2022

Learning to Fly in St. Lucia

The one thing both kids agreed they wanted to do while we were on vacation was zipline through the rainforest. Duncan has ziplined a few times in the past but Danica has never tried it. Those of you who know me know that I have a ginormous fear of heights. I have no desire to ever zipline but felt irresponsible sending them off on their own. I assumed when I started looking at all the tours that I would have to pay full price to take the bus to be there while they ziplined. Then I came across the Rainforest Adventures tours in St. Lucia. They offered aerial tram and zipline tours, which allowed me to do part of the tour with them and then just wait for them to do the 8 ziplines (perhaps with a rum punch in hand). Chris and Renee ended up joining us, although Chris wholeheartedly admitted that the idea of ziplining seemed less intimidating when he was too heavy to do it.  

We had met a couple of ladies in our taxi the other day who warned us about the windy, narrow, hilly roads in St. Lucia but I still feel that I wasn't adequately prepared. These were hills steeper than San Francisco's with switchback curves, no guardrails, and did I mention the roads were barely wide enough for two vehicles but had narrow ditches along the sides just wide enough to trap your tire? It felt 
like riding a roller coaster at times.

When we arrived at Rainforest Adventures, the zipliners were all geared up before we boarded the aerial tram. Our guide, Shelson, gave me a hairnet in case I changed my mind, but I was too freaked out to try. Looking back, I probably could have done it but I am so terrified of heights and as my brother puts it, falling from heights.  





The tram ride was great. It moved slowly through the rainforest and up the mountain while our guide imparted his wealth of knowledge upon us. For the record, if you're ever lost in the rainforest with me, I know how to find us fresh water! The views on the way back down were spectacular. Apparently on a clear day, you can actually see Martinique. 









After the tram ride, it was time for the ziplines. I was able to walk with them to the first platform but then they continued on for 7 more lines while I wandered back to the Cafe to drink some rum punch and watch birds, a lizard and some massive beetle thing that I actually thought was a bird when it flew past me. Apparently the guide kept asking them to try different poses and such to make the kids nervous but would then turn to Chris and Renee and comment on how the kids had no fear whatsoever. 










So as this ginormous thing flew past me, I thought it was a bird.  Once it landed, I realized it was one of the scariest bugs I'd ever seen in my life and I was so very thankful it didn't land on me!

On the way back to the ship, the driver joked that Duncan would have to drive for a few minutes. I think that made him nervous!

Since it's Christmas Eve, Santa came to take photos with and bring presents to all the kids. It was absolute chaos in the Piazza for a while as parents pushed and shoved to get their kids to the front of the line.  We patiently waited, joining the line once things settled down and were proceeding in a more orderly fashion and Danica had her chance too.  Duncan would have except that he fell asleep at 530 and slept through dinner and all through the night, waking only when I woke him for our Christmas Day excursion. 





I hope Santa found all of you too!  Merry Christmas!




































No comments:

Post a Comment